Thursday, March 17, 2011

Support Letter

Dear Family and Friends,

As many of you know, I have a passion for the people of Uganda.  For the past three summers I have traveled there for 1-3 month time periods working with orphans and widows in multiple roles. Every time I return to Uganda, I feel a peace; a peace that I am where God wants me to be. Upon returning to the U.S. last summer, i knew He was telling me I was to return.

Here I am 6 months later asking for your support as I travel to Uganda in June for (at least) a 7 month stay with a friend of mine, Julia Adams. God is good! We will be staying and volunteering at BULA Children’s Home (http://www.bulainc.org) located on the outskirts of Kampala, the capital city.  Presently there are 27 children in their care, ranging from the ages of 8-18. The home aims to support these children in their basic needs and future successes, and additionally strives to further promote their well being through counseling and support.  My responsibilities in the home will include being a house parent, some administrative duties, and being open to whatever tasks may come my way.

Outside of the home, Julia and I plan to work alongside friends of mine in the slums of Kisenyi with the children’s program. They have programs everyday ranging from dance, art, singing, Bible lessons, homework help, and basic hygiene skills that they teach the children. We are also planning on joining the Bridge Connections team (the group I have traveled with in the past) in Jinja in August. There, we will be working with Father’s Divine Love Ministries, building houses for widows, fellowshipping with the people in the community and planning activities for the children who reside there.

I am ecstatic about this adventure! My prayer is that I return with an even better understanding of the needs in Uganda, a renewed gratitude for all God’s given me, and a deeper understanding of how I have been uniquely gifted to serve. Sure, I am nervous about stepping out of my Lancaster Co. roots for this extended period of time; but as a Christian, I want to serve where I am being called; even if that place is Africa.

Now here is where you come in! I would like to invite you to join me in this effort.  The first way that you can assist me is through prayer. Prayer is really the key to successful ministry and this is no exception. Please pray for our spiritual preparation, our safety during the trip, and the life change that God will bring about as a result of ministry.

Beyond your prayers, if you are led to join me financially by supporting this mission, I would be grateful. I need to raise $5000 to cover airfare, room and board, ministry resources and transportation.  Bridge Connections (http://www.bridgeconnections.org/ ) has been a huge support in our search for a ministry to work alongside and has graciously offered to collect our funds. Tax deductible donations can be made to Bridge Connections. Be sure to include my name, “Jolene Goss“, on the memo line of your check. You may mail checks directly to Bridge Connections, Inc. at 6601 Hampnett Ave. Baltimore, MD 21214.  Please send your contribution no later than May 1st.

Thank you for considering my needs for prayer and financial support. “Religion that God our father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.” James 1:27. Please do not hesitate to contact me (jagoss@marauder.millersville.edu) if you have any questions. I am extremely excited about this ministry and hope you can share in my excitement.

With gratitude,



Jolene Goss

No comments:

Post a Comment