Thursday, August 4, 2011

Only in Uganda...

Let me tell you about my day yesterday...So Julia and I were to meet with a friend at 11. We jumped on bodas (motorbikes) and told our drivers where we wanted to go. We verified that they knew where we were talking about. We were off... Julia's driver fell behind and so my driver pulled over. Of course it was by a man preaching who quickly changed from Luganda to English. "All woman who consume alcohol are prostitutes!" Cute!! We enjoyed lunch and said good bye to Melissa. We jumped on another boda off to the Office of Internal Affairs to work out extending our visas. We told them close to Centenery Park they verified they knew. We drove by the park. I asked my driver if he knew where he was going and explained that I would not pay more for him being lost. They dropped us at an offfice for internal affairs for PRISON. So Julia and I walked. We arrived at the office after asking 10 people where to go and of course it was lunch break! The lady handed us a list of things we would need ...Criminal background check, resume, letters from the organization we were working with, $250..... She told us we were currently in the country illegally on the wrong visa. We quickly grabbed our passports and were out the door. I called the US Embassy to find out about the Criminal Background check. I could make an appt and come in with $50 and a letter that I write about my good standings back home that they would notarize and then somehow get the FBI to fingerprint me, yada, yada....Then she said that it could take 1 month to 1 year to process if it ever gets done! CUTE!! She then added that plenty of people's passports get lost in the process. So we will be leaving the country of Uganda for a day or 2 and then re-enter on another 90 day visa. We are thinking Rwanda...

No comments:

Post a Comment