Thursday, July 14, 2011


Sooo...What's new and exciting here in Uganda? I don't really know what to write about. I have gotten into a routine and this is now my life.The children continue to bang on our door early in the morning for vitamins and toothpaste. They are off to school by 7:30 these days. Lately we've been only having electricity for a few hours per day. Which means early to bed!!!
In an earlier blog I wrote about a boy named Douglas. He had become violent and rude to us volunteers through the weeks (along with many other children). On monday after school he told me that he was hungry. I asked him what for. Chips (french fries) and chicken of course!! I made him a deal (being the good parent that I am) if he could respect me, and I never have to yell at him for the next 2 weeks, I would buy him chips and chicken. I didn't think he would make it through the night. Well he did and he is still going strong! Last night during dinner I even asked him to fill my water and he did it with a smile. I'll keep you updated if I get a date with Douglas. I sure hope so!
This past Tuesday we traveled to the equator. It was a fun morning.We were adventurous and took public transportation hoping that we would be dropped off at the right spot. Well we were...in the middle of nowhere!! There was literally a strip of craft shops, the photo spot, and 2 cafes with mzungus everywhere. We grabbed lunch, a veggie wrap (guac. and carrots in a chapati). Upon leaving the cafe it became evident that all other mzungus had disappeared. We finished taking pictures and then prayed that a taxi would drive by that was going to Kampala with 4 seats. We hailed a taxi driving by and the first one tried to rip us off by charging us 10,000ugx. We got them down to 8,000 which I think is still getting ripped off.

No comments:

Post a Comment